Wednesday, September 15, 2010

"Damn the man. If it ain't broke, break it."


I had to bring my Canon EOS Rebel T2i to class today to use so, while I was there, I decided to take a few pictures of what film school looks like for everyone back at home.


This is Hamilton Hall. It is located at the corner of Indian Street and M.L.K. Jr. Boulevard and is the main home for the Film and Television Department for SCAD.


This is the board for my Technical Elements of Film Production class. If you look closely, you will see the major positions on a filmmaking crew mapped out. This is left over from our first day of class.

This particular class is set in the studio pictured at the top of this article. I can't tell you how crazy it was to show up on Monday morning at 7:30 am and walk into this place. Definitely not the classroom I'm used to. But I love it in this room. We've had a lot of fun doing the little we have done in here.


You can't make a movie without lights. The majority of this class has focused on lighting and how to control the camera's sensitivity to light. It's a very important aspect of filmmaking and has been very useful (and slightly difficult) to learn about so far.

This is used to set up lights on the roof. We haven't done any of this yet. It looks kind of scary.

More of the studio. Just reminding you all that I have class in here. And that's crazy.


This is Christoph setting up his handheld camera before class. He's a pretty nice guy and seems to have a lot to offer to the class.

This is Kurt showing Adam his Canon XH-A1 (the same camera I shot a lot of my films on and which I currently use to record sound).

I'm pretty sure this was from the point in time when everyone was trying to get their iris set so their camera reached a level 5. It's kind of hard to explain. It was a very confusing moment.

More of the melding of the minds.

Justin working the Panasonic Pro AG-HVX200. He was pretty quick at learning this camera.

Kurt hooking up his Canon XH-A1 to one of the school's massive tripods.


My team's Panasonic Pro AG-HVX200. I believe we were about to set our white balance here.


A front view of my team's Panasonic Pro AG-HVX200. It's a pretty piece of equipment.

This is Barry. He is our teacher for Technical Elements of Film Production. He's a very active and intense guy. I really like him. He's big on us getting in the field and getting our hands dirty and that's what I want. Since this class is at 8 am in the morning, the quick and furious energy of it really serves to wake me up.

This is a quick picture of some architecture around the riverfront area of Savannah. My film building is right on the river so this is a glimpse of what we see when we go and sit out on the picnic tables for our very brief lunch.

I didn't really get to take any pictures from my other two film classes. They are not as active as my first one so I'm not sure pictures would have done them justice. However, I'm convinced I need to film Dr. Chaney from Practical Elements of Film Production by the end of the quarter. He went on a tirade about the story structure of Star Wars: A New Hope that lasted fifteen minutes that was really funny and beyond brilliant. The guy is scatter brained and full of energy. He's really a character. So, hopefully, I can get a video of him in action one day.

Anyways, I hope these pictures (and words) help bring you guys a little more insight into this new education that I am seeking.


3 comments:

  1. Wow Wes, looks like you picked a good school to attend, thanks for updating your blog so your mom and i can see what its like, has it met all your expectations so far? Say hello to Tom and Long for us and wish me luck on teaching your mother how to use the computer so she can read your blog, include some pictures of yourself so she will know you are actually there, is it any easier to get around Savannah now that you've been there a few days? Did you figure out the Mass Transit yet? And why can't I locate Tom or Long on Facebook when I search their names? Stay in touch and keep us updated pal. Love dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. Thanks for sharing. This place looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks incredible Wes! Savor every second your in Savannah. There's no other place like it.

    ReplyDelete