Friday, October 1, 2010

Waiting for Savannah Film Festival Tickets

This morning my classmates and I got up early to wait in line for tickets for the Savannah Film Festival, which starts October 30th. Tickets went on sale at 10 am but we were advised to get there no later than 8 am.

When I found out that two of my most anticipated movies of the year (Black Swan and 127 Hours) were starting and finishing out the festival, I decided to get there pretty early to secure my tickets for those screenings (as all the 7 pm night showings sell out in the first hour).

I woke up at 5:30 am, showered, ate a quick breakfast and got on my way. I decided to park at my film building and then walk to Broughton Street where the SCAD theater is located. The parking on Broughton is usually awful and you always have to pay during the day. It was during this long walk at 6 am that I saw some interesting stuff. The streets of Savannah were completely empty except for crazy homeless people who were walking around having conversations with themselves. It was kind of creepy.

I arrived at the theater a little before 6:20 am. There were some other people already in line but not many. Over the next thirty minutes most of my classmates showed up. While we all sat on the sidewalk, waiting and tired, I took a few pictures with my classmate Kristen's camera.

You can see these pictures below.

Fake enthusiasm? Maybe.

Kristen and Rachael. And me cameoing.

This was the order form for the 7pm night screenings (i.e. the stuff that sells out fast). Notice the words "Liam Neeson Tribute" and "Ian McKellen Tribute." Yeah, they're going to be here. I might get to meet Darkman and Magneto. I'm definitely going to be in the same room as them. That's cool enough I guess.

This was the order form for the day screenings / work shops.

Justin spent a lot of time tossing this apple around. I caught a shot of it in mid air.

Abosedé, Kim and Gerald. No one looks too happy. It was early.

A shot of some of the crowd lined up behind us. Kurt cameos.

At 10, the box office opened up and everyone began to buy tickets. Things got a little tense when they told us that the tickets were being purchased online at the same time (though for more money) and that the screenings could sell out before we got to the front of the line. Luckily for all of us though, we were pretty close to the front and we got tickets to all the screenings we really wanted to go to.

So I'm pretty excited about the festival. It will be my first film festival to attend and it's got movies playing and actors coming that I'm really excited to see. Overall, I think it will have been worth the five hour wait.

2 comments:

  1. That's it. I'm coming to Savannah. Jealous doesn't even begin to describe my feelings right now.

    ReplyDelete